Project #4 – Narthex (Room 253)
Project #4 – Narthex (Room 253)The approximate cost of this project = $25,000
(Please note the numbering of this project does not indicate its priority, it only identifies the project for reference.)
This project is made up of various repairs such as:
- Replacement of worn out carpeting – the Narthex carpeting has reached the end of its useful life. We have had flooring contractors here to make repairs to the carpeting and all have said “the carpet is shot; there is no way to make repairs to its current condition. Replacement is the only option”. *
- Restore water damaged gold leaf scripture verse and surrounding wall plaster – For those who were not aware of the materials of the Good Shepherd Mosaic and the Scripture Verse; the lettering and framework of the scripture verse are High Grade - Gold Leaf Gilding. We recently had an Artwork Restoration Professional analyze the condition of the mosaic and scripture verse. Their analysis revealed that the scripture verse gold leaf is applied to a linen material which is adhered to the plaster wall (a common practice for this sort of application). The gold leaf framework around the scripture verse is directly applied to the plaster wall. Through the years, roof leaks have compromised the surrounding plaster, paint, gilding and adhesive properties of the scripture verse and frame. The restoration professional recommends the removal of the scripture verse for restoration and cleaning in their studio; the repair of the surrounding plaster wall, repainting the wall, re-gilding the gold leaf frame; then reapplying the linen scripture verse.
- Clean Mosaic tiles/grout and woodwork – Since we will have to erect scaffolding to make repairs to the adjacent plaster, it seems only logical that we have the mosaic and ceiling woodwork cleaned as well.
- Repair water damaged wall plaster and repaint entire Narthex – Once again; since the scaffolding will be on site for other repairs, it only makes sense to restore this space and save the mobilization costs of erecting scaffolding at a later date.
- Restoration or replacement of Usher Station – The Usher Station is showing signs of wear and is in need frequent of repair. Its restoration or replacement is being considered as a part of this project.
- Upgrade breaker panel for lighting to be operated by wall switching – The Sanctuary and Narthex lighting are controlled by the breaker panel located near the elevator. With much the same reasoning as mentioned in several items above, it seems opportunistic to convert the switching of lights to wall switches at this time.
- Upgrade to more energy efficient lighting options – With the advancement of modern lighting, there are several advantages to converting our lighting to more energy efficient devices. Not only are modern devices less maintenance, but they produce better lighting, use less energy, last longer and are eligible for DTE Rebates.
*Due to the current condition of the Narthex carpet, this element of this project will likely be addressed before the other items listed above.